Gatorrrrrr

- Hell Bent and Opinionated

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

More Pain. Less Comfort.

About a year or so ago, I wrote a very, I guess some would call, disturbing article about the Abu Ghraib scandal. I basically said that those who were involved and charged should get the same treatment that the prisoners effected did. I said that we should be above that. That we should be setting the example. That we are more - civilized- than that.

I'm going to make an exception to that rule regarding Michael Morales, a prisoner on death row for beating and stabbing a 17 year old girl to death. His execution was postponed because some anesthetists complained that it violated their oath to protect life. Their claim stated they couldn't perform the lethal injection because Michael would feel pain. They went on to say that the sodium pentathol may not be enough and that the executionee could wake up as the other two injections (one to stop from breathing, the other to stop the heart) were taking effect.

Fine. They have a point. As medical doctors, their job is to protect life.

However, comfort to this animal should not be a concern. Not considering what he did. While I believe we should be more civilized and set a better example, I also believe what comes around goes around. The 8th Amendment, as Kenneth Starr points out, does not allow for that form of capitol punishment.

I keep thinking, if that were my daughter... would I feel justice was served if I knew steps were being taken to make him comfortable while he passes on while my daughter wasn't given the same courtesy? Does thinking that make me as much of an animal as Michael Morales?

I would want vengeance.
I would want justice.
I'm not sure Terri Winchell or her family is getting either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home